The Gift of Life campaign is an initiative of the European Kidney Health Alliance to raise awareness on the need for:
- a coordinated approach at EU level as regards kidney donation and transplantation
- appropriate legal, structural and cultural frameworks in EU member states to boost donation rates and reduce the numbers of deaths resulting from kidney failure while waiting for a transplant.
EKHA calls for:
- Equal access to kidney transplantationacross the EU to all valid candidates
- Education programmes for healthcare professionals, patients and the general public to boost living donor transplantationat EU and national levels.
- Establishment of appropriate legal and structural framework for successful EU Member States’ transplantation programmes
- Opting-out systems for deceased organ donation in EU member states
- A coordinated approach towards kidney transplantationat EU level